Following a 35 year career as a corporate lawyer in Silicon Valley, Lon Allan now works exclusively as an independent director and/or advisor for both for-profit and non-profit entities.
Mr. Allan has been an outside director on the boards of a number of companies including NetLogic Microsystems, Inc. (Chair, Governance Committee); Catalyst Semiconductor, Inc. (Chair, Governance Committee; Chair, Compensation Committee); Galvantech, Inc.; Global Motorsport Group, Inc. (Vice Chair of the Board; Chair, Audit Committee); Accom, Inc. (Chair, Audit Committee); Louth Automation, Inc. and Groth Vineyards and Winery (Chair, Governance Committee). He has also been active on the boards of various professional, philanthropic and civic organizations, including the Silicon Valley Directors’ Exchange, formerly the Silicon Valley Chapter of the National Association of Corporate Directors (Chair of the Board); The Harker School (Chair of the Board); KTEH Public Television Channel 54 (Chair of the Board); Villa Montalvo Center for the Arts (President of the Board); the Silicon Valley Chapter of the AeA, formerly the American Electronics Association (Legal Consultant to the Executive Committee); the American Bar Association (Chair, Middle Market and Small Business Committee); the Board of Visitors at Stanford Law School; the Santa Clara County Juvenile Justice Commission: (Chair, Legislative Committee); the Santa Clara County Board of Parole Commissioners (Public Member); the Santa Clara County Civil Grand Jury: (Chair, Committee on Unfunded Pension Liabilities) and the City of Monte Sereno (Mayor).
In addition to board service, Mr. Allan has been a lecturer on corporate governance issues at the Haas Business School at UC Berkeley; Stanford Law School; SCU Law School; The Rock Center for Corporate Governance; the National Association of Corporate Directors; the Investor Responsibility Research Center (IRRC); Directors’ Consortium at the University of Chicago; China Education Group, Hong Kong; International Lawyers Meeting, Paris; Shanghai Institute of Foreign Trade, Shanghai; National Taiwan University, Taipei; Lexis/Nexis Singapore; the American Lawyer Magazine Board of Directors Training Program and Stanford Directors’ College. He has also presented lectures on corporate and securities issues at the American Bar Association and the State Bar of California and has had articles published by Prentice-Hall Corporation Service, the California Continuing Education of the Bar and Mathew Bender & Co.
Lon Allan received his J.D. from Stanford Law School and his A.B. from the University of Michigan. After law school, he served as Law Clerk to Chief Judge Robert F. Peckham of the United States District Court in San Francisco and then served as a Captain, JAGC, USAR. In addition, he has been elected a member of the American Law Institute (ALI).
Lon Allan / Monte Sereno - Only a 1,000 Acres!
Taking Gender Out of the Equation, with Lon Allan
Women’s Path to the Corporate Boardroom
Outside Director: Advisor or Cop
The high tech IPO post Sarbanes-Oxley
Selected Speaking Engagements: (Click here for pdf)
- NUMU, New Museums of Los Gatos
- ICA, San Jose Institute of Contemporary Art - Board of Directors
- Djerassi Resident Artists Program - Board of Trustees
- Triton Museum of Art - Board of Directors
- Ballet San Jose Silicon Valley; Symphony San Jose Silicon Valley - Executive Committee, Secretary, Bylaws Committee, Chair Board of Directors
- YWCA - Nominating Committee, Board of Directors, Bylaws Committee, Chair Vice President, Fund Development Committee
- Professional Women's Luncheon Committee - Chair, Co-Chair, Table Captain Chair
- Our City Forest - Board of Directors, Fund Development Committee, Chair
- Peninsula Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired, Vintage Affaire
- Realtors for Tom Campbell for US Senate - Santa Clara County, Chair
- San Jose Chamber Orchestra - Founding Trustee
- Opera San Jose - Executive Committee, Board of Trustees, Nominating Committee, Chair Operathon, Co-Chair Corporate Fund Raising, Co-Chair Retreat Weekend, Co-Chair
- Villa Montalvo Arts Center: Performing, Literary, Visual, Education, Artists Residency Visual Arts Committee, Gala Committee, Valentine Ball Committee
- San Jose Museum of Art - Docent Council, President, V. President, newsletter, Treasurer, Artist Research Committee, Museum Volunteers, Organizational Committee, Headdress Ball Committee
Children's schools volunteer:
- Los Gatos High School: main office
- Harker Academy: room mother, library aide
- Hillbrook: founded events coordinator, grades 1 − 8, systematized field trips, assemblies, grades 1 − 8
- League of Women Voters
- AAUW, committee organizer and Chair
- Christie's Sereno Group, Realtor
- Alain Pinel Realtors, Saratoga, Realtor
- Intero Real Estate Services, Saratoga, Realtor - EcoBroker License
- SILVAR PAC, Silicon Valley Association of Realtors, Political Action Committee, Board Member
- Alain Pinel Realtors, Saratoga, Realtor
- Cornish & Carey, Saratoga, Realtor
- Los Gatos-Saratoga Board of Realtors - Program Committee, Ethics Committee
- Young Art Gallery, salesperson
- Malke-Sage Art Gallery, salesperson
- Teacher: Cupertino Unified School District - Palo Alto School District, substitute, Orange County School District
- Married (50+ years), two adult children
- Beekeeping, trained and works with a therapy dog, scuba diving, spelunking, rappelling, book groups, organic and sustainable gardening, migrating bird and butterfly gardening, 40+ fruiting trees, etc., calligraphy, 2 aero-dynamic modifications for Porsche 911 racing cars, visual arts and music. We also enjoy having composers and artists stay with us during concerts, installations, and ateliers.
- Miami University, Oxford, Ohio: BSed with Honors - major, English; minor, science sorority: Social Chair, Scholarship Chair